I am trying to concentrate on taking life one day at a time. There is nothing I can do about yesterday, and tomorrow may not come. I am trying to be content and have faith.
I still have a lot of anxiety about our situation and I think that's normal. I was reading about Jesus in the garden on Gasthemene and something struck me like it never had before. I know Jesus was under stress as he was praying asking the cup be removed from him, but I never really realized that he was scared. He had that real, raw emotion. He didn't want to die, even though he had experienced what was on the other side. He knew what heaven was like and He was still afraid to go through what he had to go through. Perhaps it wasn't so much about dying, but more about the manner in which is was to happen nevertheless he was still scared. He was so young.
He had great anxiety about his situation and what did he do? He prayed. He prayed to his Father for his will to be done. He admitted that He didn't really want to go through this. 3 times He prayed that this cup be taken from him.
Matthew 26:36-43
36 Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane. He said to them, "Sit here while I go over there and pray."
37 He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him. He began to be sad and troubled. 38 Then he said to them, "My soul is very sad. I feel close to death. Stay here. Keep watch with me."
39 He went a little farther. Then he fell with his face to the ground. He prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, take this cup of suffering away from me. But let what you want be done, not what I want."
40 Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. "Couldn't you men keep watch with me for one hour?" he asked Peter. 41 "Watch and pray. Then you won't fall into sin when you are tempted. The spirit is willing. But the body is weak."
42 Jesus went away a second time. He prayed, "My Father, is it possible for this cup to be taken away? But if I must drink it, may what you want be done."
43 Then he came back. Again he found them sleeping. They couldn't keep their eyes open. 44 So he left them and went away once more. For the third time he prayed the same thing.
My lesson from this:
Even Jesus dealt with anxiety.
When He felt this He prayed.
He prayed not once, but three times. He prayed until "the time had come for the Son of Man to be handed over."
When we are anxious, lets follow Jesus' example. Pray when you feel that anxiety creeping up.
Be honest with God. Tell Him you are scared, that you don't want to deal with this. He already knows what you feel....may as well make it known in your words.
Continue to petition God with your request. Sometimes I feel like I ask and pray for something and if I keep bringing it up I am being annoying. He is God after all and surely He knows what my troubles are. But God doesn't get tired of us coming to Him. He wants us to lean on Him and trust Him.
Matthew 7:11 (New International Version)
11If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!
1Thes.5:16-18
16Rejoice always;
17pray without ceasing;
18in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
But in all of this praying for the big thing...that really in God's scheme of things isn't that big...I almost missed a little blessing. We have been sleeping on an air mattress since we moved here on Oct 4th. We went back to get our bed but slept on it in NY and realized the 10 yr old mattress made us feel worse then sleeping on the air mattress. So we bought a new mattress 2 weeks ago and are waiting for delivery. Well 2 nights ago the air mattress popped. Not sure what happened probably a result of one of our animals, but anyway. I prayed yesterday that even though this was silly, could God please speed up the shipping process of this mattress. We desperately needed it and could it please ship by the end of the week. I went to check my email and wouldn't you know it the mattress was being loaded on the truck yesterday morning. PRAISE GOD! I looked at estimated delivery and it said Nov. 25-Dec 2nd.....EEEK!!!! So again I just quickly and simply said...Lord please let it get delivered before that. The company is 4 hrs away so it didn't make sense why it would take so long to get here if it shipped yesterday.
****As a side note....we went to a mattress store found out what we liked and then left to find the best deal online. I saved myself $700 off the retail store price we just had to wait longer for arrival. ****
This morning at 10:15 a gentleman called as said "I have your mattress can I deliver it today." "ABSOLUTELY!!!!"
Praise God!!!! He is faithful even in the small things...now if I can only be patient for this big hurdle. : ) But it was if God answered and said "I hear you, I can do anything...even deliver your mattress a week early...and I will take care of the other stuff...but in MY time." Thank you God!
Thursday, November 19, 2009
I almost missed it
Posted by Andi at 9:56 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment