Well yesterday was a sad day for me. My baby slept in his own room at night for the first time :( I know in the big picture it's not a huge deal, but it's still kind of sad. He's been there right by my side sleeping in the same room if not the same bed for six months now. I knew the time was approaching where I would have to make the decision to move him and I have put it off for a while now. From the time he was born he was up frequently and needed me so much that I kept all my supplies in my room and would mix bottles right in bed. Now his schedule has changed and he only gets up once a night and it's much easier to have a premade bottle ready for him in the fridge downstairs. So I actually get up and out of bed now and go downstairs to feed him and change him.
I know this is much harder on me, then on him. He could care less where he sleeps. I guess it's just the thought of him becoming more independent and growing up. Which I want, he would have major problems if I did not let go and it would not be healthy for either of us. It's just hard to see your baby get so big so quickly! He will be 6 months tomorrow! CRAZY!
But that's our job as parents. We do the best we can for them until they grow their wings, and at different stages of their lives we have to let go and let them fly. And I know this small step; as insignificant as it seems; is just the beginning of many new adventures for him. It's still not easy though!!
Thursday, October 4, 2007
Sad day
Posted by Andi at 2:15 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
LMAO...I use to do the SAME thing. Have the formula, bottles, wipes, diapers etc all in the bed room.
Hes growing up. It was really hard on me to put her in her own room too, and she was right across the hall.
I had the same feelings. I did not want to put my kids in their own bed until I knew they were ready- so I didn't. I knew that I wouldn't want to sleep alone and neither did they. I also thought that they are so young for such a short amount of time that I wanted them in my bed as long as possible because one day they'd be in their own bed and I'd know that I had gotten the VERY MOST of their cuddle time as I could've while they were babies. I guess what we have is called a Family Bed. If the kids want to sleep with us we let them (Although now they have to lay in there bed for 30 minutes or so before they can come with us now that their older). And Jacob still comes and snuggles with us every night around 2am. The nights that he sleeps all night in his bed are really great sleep nights for me as well, but like I said before, this time will be over before we know it and I believe that my kids will have a closer bond to us knowing we kept them closer at night. The book that I read that convinced me of this said, "Which scenario would you choose? Waking up alone in a dark room in a cage (crib) by yourself or waking up in a warm bed next to mommy and daddy and rolling over feeling comforted." That did it for me. I've had family members say things like, "If you dont get them out of your bed, their going to be 5 years old and still sleeping with you" or "You have to teach them to be independent" and I just let it come in one ear and out the other because I DONT want my kids to be independent at 1 or 2 years old- why? They have all their life to be independent. That's why I'm the mom so they can be dependent on me until their old enough. Both of my kids went into their own beds (whether it was in our room our not) at around 18-24 months old and did just fine. They just have the security knowing that at any point they can re-join us in our family bed so they dont have a problem going into their beds. Anyway, sorry that was so long. I just couldn't explain myself in a shorter sentence. And please know that this is just my opinion. Whatever you choose to do is the best decision for YOUR family so take this with a grain of salt. I just wanted to share what we do :)
Post a Comment