BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, May 18, 2009

Back to Blogville

Hello Blog friends...it's been a while. With summer here and Phil home more often it's harder to get a minute to get on here and blog.

I have a confession of sorts for you. A few posts back I was saying how our marriage has been hitting some bumps lately. Honestly what marriage doesn't? There have been a lot of changes around here lately and a lot of adjusting needed to be done on everyone's part. Anyway...so here is my blame in all of this.

I seemed to have jumped on the selfish train. I got so consumed with what I was missing that I lost focus of what was important. I became very self absorbed and it all hit me with one little sign.
And I mean a literal sign. I had been praying about the whole situation for a long time. God had showed me that I needed a major attitude adjustment.

I was in Target with my kids picking out a gift for my hubby's grandma, when I came upon this sign....It says "Love is patient, love is kind." 1 Corinthians 13:4 It hit me like a ton of bricks. I knew I had to get it. God spoke loud and clear saying that I haven't been patient or kind for that matter in a long time. Basically, "Andi, here's your sign." So I bought it to hang up in my kitchen as a reminder to try to be more patient and kind to everyone.



The next day I went to take my husband to the airport to return his rental car. I was listening to James McDonald preach on the Family Life Network and he was talking about marriages and how we are self absorbed and we need to remember 1 Cor. 13:4...Love is patient, love is kind."
Wow, what a reinforcement! No doubts now God was indeed speaking to me But God being God and knowing everything decided he should slap me in the face one more time.
Later that week I got the P31 magazine in the mail. There was an article in there about 8 seconds. How sometimes in marriage things become normal. Little thing don't make us excited anymore, if we do them at all...you know the holding of hands, the kissing, hugging, going out etc. She was struggling in her marriage and God spoke to her and said kiss him for 8 seconds. You know, not a peck that us married people often grow accustom to...a good long 8 second kiss. The first time she did it, and it seemed like forever...but caught her hubby by surprise. She continued to initiate these kisses now and then and it really brought excitement back...and changed her whole attitude towards him. Then the scripture she used to back it all up...1 Cor. 13:4 "Love is patient, love is kind."

So I have received my sign both literally and figuratively. I am working on being more patient and more kind. I am working on being slow to anger...and let me tell you patience and tempers are hard ones for us to control. I still goof up, but I am trying. So far, it's made a big difference. I needed to take my own advice that I give to my daughter almost daily "Treat others, how you want to be treated." I am pray everyday, sometimes several times for help in not loosing it...and most of the time I succeed.

But hey, I am a work in progress. I love my husband dearly and I appreciate everything he does for us. There may be bumps in the road, but there is no one else I would rather take this ride with.

1 comments:

KIM said...

wow Andi - your post is amazing.. thanks for blogging that - it sure makes me think of my life also. It is so wonderful how God speaks to us.. knowing he is by our sides and walking through life with us... you are right.. there will always be bumps in the road but God is always there to pick us up and help us through!!