BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Teeth

Being six years old is very exciting. You are a first grader, you get to stay up later than your baby brother, and your teeth start falling out.....at least they are suppose to fall out!

Emma came downstairs the other night a 9 o'clock telling us that her teeth hurt. My first thought was "yah right." You see, Emma has an excuse every night. She hates sleeping...in her own words "it takes too long to sleep." She comes downstairs several times a night with a new excuse so that she can delay the inevitable. So when she told me that her mouth hurt her I immediately thought it was just an excuse.
Phil checked out her teeth by pushing on them in the dim lit kitchen and they weren't budging. He kissed her goodnight, told her she was fine and sent her on her way.
1/2 hour later she is back downstairs. "My mouth REALLY hurts." Phil called her into the living room this time and actually looked at her mouth under the light. Much to our surprise there were two HUGE new teeth in her mouth. Except they are not where they are supposed to be. Instead of pushing out little baby teeth the decided to take a detour and pop out behind the baby teeth. They are much bigger then her baby teeth. The two teeth are as wide as 4 of her baby teeth. So I assume she doesn't have much room.
I called the dentist and made an appointment for a cleaning and check up on Monday. It's been a long time since she has been to the dentist as we have no dental insurance. I know that's bad, but what can I say?
They told me that he may just leave them there and tell her to eat crunchy foods or he may pull them out. I have a feeling it will be the latter option. Her teeth are not the least bit loose and I can't see them just falling out on their own.
This is the problem though. Getting my child, this child, to sit through a tooth pulling. And not one tooth...several teeth. She is deathly afraid of anything like this. The last time she had to get shots I practically had to sit on her to keep her still enough to receive them. Thank God that was 2 years ago and she hasn't needed a shot since!
Needless to say, I am nervous about how this will go.

The receptionist said he may just pull them that day and I am really hoping he just does that.
1. Because if she knows she has to go back to get them pulled she will be full of anxiety and worry until that day.
2. Phil will be with me on Monday and he is physically stronger then me. He should be able to control her a little better than I can.

We will see what happens. I know it will all work out in the end..but like I said..the waiting is the worst part!

What a way to loose your first teeth.

It makes me kind of sad as well. She really isn't a baby anymore. She is a little girl who will have gaps in her mouth! It's exciting to see her grow up, but at the same time I wish I could go back in time and cherish that a little more.

I remember before she had teeth, a man coming up to me in the grocery store saying she had a cute "gummy smile". He said to remember and enjoy it because before I knew it she would be all grown up.
And he was right. The teeth filled in and are now falling out! It does go by so fast. But I have learned to enjoy the second one a little more (2nd child that is) I am more relaxed and enjoy today rather then dwell on the past. And I have to do that with Emma too, because before I know it all the new teeth will be in and she will be graduating high school!

1 comments:

KIM said...

Andi - I hope the appointment goes well - if they do have to pull.. maybe they won't say anything to her and just get her some of that laughing gas - she will be in such a happy mood she might not even realize what is going on.... that is what happened to me as a kid - new teeth came in and the baby ones never came out - had a lot of teeth pulled but the laughing gas totally got me though without even knowing what was going on... good luck.. let me know how it goes!!