Tuesday, September 16, 2008
Kindergarten Breakfast
I drove Emma to school this morning for kindergarten breakfast! It was very anti-climatic and sad in some respects!
We showed up at 8 am, I signed in got my visitor tag and we proceeded down to the cafeteria. Once we got down there, we saw a bunch of children sitting and waiting for the actual food area to open.
Once it did they all ran to get into line to get their food. I walked through with Emma who picked out milk and coco puffs for breakfast! Not usually allowed here, but I figured what the heck..this is special! I got a buttered bagel. We went to go pay and they told us that kindergarteners and their parents were free today! Yippee! So that was nice.
We went and picked a table and sat to eat.
Now for the sad part.....there were no other children there with their parents. I was the only parent except for one set who were with their child who was just starting today. Sad :( that parents do not take any interest in their childs school. I jumped at the chance to get up and go with her. Where their inconviences? YES! It was difficult to get all 3 of us up and ready to go this morning, and I did contemplate putting her on the bus kissing her goodbye and sending her off for the day..all why I lounged in my pajamas for a few more hours. But I did not. I got up, got us ready and off we went.
Emma was so excited that I was coming to her school this morning and I am thankful I am able to do that for her. I know there are a lot of parents out there who can not be part of the schooling. Who have to work and can not be a part of these things. These little things making staying home with little ones all day worth the while.
I have not started volunteering there yet, but I am signed up to help out on Thursdays and also in the school post office on Wednesday mornings. I will be able to drive her to school on the day that I help out. I am going to be one busy mom when all this kicks in. I will have MOPS every other Tuesday, Post Office Wednesday and School helper and lunch mom on Thursdays! It will be nice to be able to lend a hand and selfishly be able to interact with other grown ups! I am actually nervous but excited about it!
So here is the run down on the school post office!! It was started by real post offices --I am sure to encourage kids to write letters so that they get more business....lets face it....this world is an electronic world. How many of us has actually sat down to WRITE a letter to someone instead of shooting off an email. Anyway the program is called WEE DELIVER post office. The kids can write letters to other children in the school or to their teachers etc. and teachers and parents are also allowed to write to the children so that they can receive mail. They have the jobs broken down by age group, and the children go in and actually APPLY and INTERVIEW to get a job in the post office. If accepted your job last one month and then your duties are over. At the end of the year you get a free book and letter of recognition! It really is a cute idea. Anyway, parents are there to supervise that jobs get done in the post office. That is where I come in. It should be fun...the weeks will seem to fly by once I am involved. I can not wait!
Posted by Andi at 11:50 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment